PNRI is growing and is seeking mid-career candidates for faculty positions at the Associate or Senior Investigator level. We seek scientists with expertise in the application of integrative genomics approaches and in tool development to advance the understanding of human genetics. Successful candidates will have an independently funded research program, have research interests that are complimentary to those of current faculty members, and have a willingness to collaborate on ongoing and future research projects at PNRI.
Areas of ongoing research at the Institute include analysis of human sequence data in patients, families, and populations; the interplay of genetics and environmental factors influencing human health outcomes; and the application of functional genomics, evolutionary approaches, and model organism studies to uncover the genetic mechanisms that underlie resilience and susceptibility to disease development. Representative projects include the Decoding Stress study, which is designed to understand the role of neural genetics in mediating the systemic impacts of chronic stress; as well as other projects exploring mechanisms of inherited metabolic disorders and the genetics of rare diseases.
In addition to pursuing traditional funding sources, PNRI supports innovative projects through active, philanthropic fundraising efforts.
- PhD in computational biology, genetics, statistics, computer science, biophysics, or a related field;
- An established research program developing and applying computational methods and tools for advancing the understanding of human disease processes;
- Deep understanding of and experience in human genetics, in particular the ability to generate inferences for causal risk and protective factors in human disease;
- Track record of using large, integrated genetic and genomic databases to generate insights for solving complex biological problems;
- Leadership in developing and actively participating in collaborative projects that will strengthen the core competencies of the Institute and shape its future;
- Record of successfully mentoring junior faculty, postdoctoral fellows, and graduate students;
- Commitment to delivering positive impact to society through research programs and scientific outreach;
- Evidence of contributions to advance diversity, equity, and inclusion through previous work,planned research, and/or depth of understanding.
Pacific Northwest Research Institute (PNRI) is a nonprofit biomedical research institute, where scientists use innovative approaches to tackle some of the most difficult problems in science and medicine. The Institute was founded in 1956 by Dr. William Hutchinson in Seattle, Washington, as a place where scientists were free to pursue discoveries that promised the highest chance of improving human health. The goal was at the beginning, and remains today, to conduct foundational science leading to impactful medical innovations.
Today, PNRI’s main research domain is genetics, which we believe is at the core of understanding human health and disease. Further, PNRI believes that scientific breakthroughs are found in unexpected places—often at the intersection of multiple scientific disciplines—which is why we place a high value on collaboration. Our relentless pursuit of discovery is fueled by our intrinsic ambition to create a healthier future for all humans.
PNRI’s mission is to explore the human body’s innate ability to remain healthy in the face of our individual genetic risks in relationship to the environmental hazards we all encounter. Our scientists unravel the powerful mysteries of the human genome through the lens of “what keeps us healthy” to drive future medical breakthroughs.
PNRI is an equal opportunity employer. PNRI does not, and will not, discriminate against any applicant or employee on the basis of race, creed, ancestry, color, religion, sex, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, national origin, citizenship status, mental or physical disability, age, genetic information, veteran status, marital or family status, family or medical care leave, pregnancy or related condition (including childbirth and/or nursing), political affiliation, caste or any other characteristic protected by state or federal law or local ordinance. We believe diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging is not only good business; it’s the right thing to do.
PNRI requires vaccination for COVID 19 as a condition of employment.
Please see www.pnri.org for more information.